These potatoes are so flavor packed and a perfect side dish for any Mexican inspired meal!
Robby can’t get enough of my Greek style roasted potatoes and we both absolutely love Mexican food so I thought why not try a Mexican style roasted potatoes. Let me tell you, they are outstanding.
I had a Verdejo from the Rueda region of Spain, which was delicious! It would also pair well with a white Rioja, Pinot Noir or a light Mexican beer.
- 2 1/2 lb. Yukon Potatoes – (about 5 medium sized)
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (about 2 /1/2 )
- 1/4 Cup Dry White or Rose` Wine
- 3 Cloves Garlic – minced
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion – minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
Queso Fresco mix
- 1/2 Cup Queso Fresco Cheese – crumbled
- 2 Poblano Peppers – roasted and diced
- 1 – 2 Jalapeño – minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro Leaves – minced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cilantro chopped and added to the top
- Queso Fresco
- Pico de Gallo
Cut potatoes into small cubes and place in cold filtered water until marinade is made.
Make the marinade, mince garlic and onion measure remaining ingredients and mix together.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a 9′ by 13-inch glass baking dish mix marinade with potatoes, stirring to coat evenly.
Place in oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes. (always use a timer)
Roast peppers on the stovetop on medium high heat. A gas stove works the best but it will work fine on an electric stove. Char the peppers on all sides turning with a pair of tongs. When good and charred, steam them for 10 minutes in a covered dish or a paper bag rolled shut to hold in the steam.
Take a paper towel and rub off the char. It’s ok to leave a little of the char. Slice in half and remove the seeds and stems then dice them.
Queso Fresco mix and assemble
Mix queso fresca mixture by breaking queso fresca up with a fork then stir in remaining ingredients and put in the refrigerator.
When the timer goes off carefully take potatoes out of the oven and stir well then put back into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 more minutes.
When potatoes have cooked the full hour take out of the oven.
Mix queso fresca mixture into potatoes and put back into the oven on the very top rack and bake for 20 more minutes.
You can also prepare potatoes the day before and bake the last 20 minutes when you plan to eat them (You may need to bake for 30 minutes if they are fresh out of the refrigerator to get them hot enough).
Mince cilantro and sprinkle on top of each serving
* I often make the marinade, roast the peppers and make the cheese mix the day before.