If you love cream sauce and Gorgonzola like I do, you will love this Gorgonzola Rosemary Pesto Cream Sauce. I sautéed shallots in red wine and then added some cream along with my Gorgonzola Rosemary Pesto to make this glorious sauce. I used arrowroot to thicken it so it is naturally gluten free. It is a rich and decadent sauce perfect for those cold winter nights. Serve it with a simple green salad and a glass of red wine and you will have yourself a lovely meal.
We have had quite a bit of rain this year and it has been much appreciated! Sometimes it’s nice to be stuck inside but after a couple of weeks, one starts to yearn for the sun. Don’t get me wrong, I know we have it easy compared to all my friends in Oregon but it’s all relative, right?
Have you ever used arrowroot powder before? It’s a fantastic thickener. I prefer it to cornstarch because I know it is not going to be GMO. Even though Arrowroot is a starch, it has one of the highest amounts of protein compared to any other starches or flours. I have used it for many years with great results. It thickens without getting gummy and it leaves no trace of flavor. It can become slimy if you use too much, though.
These are just some of the health benefits.
- It is super high in potassium, which is great for heart health.
- It increases bile production that helps lower cholesterol.
- Its high Iron content is helpful for circulation.
- It has an alkalizing effect that helps balance the body’s pH, which is so important for keeping inflammation down.
- Its fiber content is fantastic for the digestion and weight control.
- As if that’s not enough, it’s full of vitamin B that helps boost your metabolism.
I believe that arrowroot is undervalued. If it is new to you, I recommend trying it out. I think you will like it. It works wonderfully in gluten-free baking, in a sauce, gravy or as a soup thickener. It is best added towards the end as it can lose its thickening properties if over cooked.
Here’s a great explanation from “One Green Planet“
- 1 Large Shallot
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/3 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 2 Cups Half and Half or Milk – or both
- 1 Recipe Gorgonzola Rosemary Pesto – recipe below
- 1 Tablespoon Arrowroot Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt – or to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Rosemary Leaves
- 1/3 Cup Raw Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons Gorgonzola Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil – or to taste
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Small Clove Garlic
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Crumbled gorgonzola
- Sprig of Rosemary
Add the shallots to a sauté pan with olive oil and sauté on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, add the garlic, continue cooking for 5 – 7 more minutes until the garlic starts to brown.
Continue to check the shallots and when they are soft, add the white wine.
Cook until wine is reduced and syrupy.
Rosemary is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that stimulate the immune system and is good for your brain. It contains carnosic acid that can significantly promote eye health and fight off free radical damage in the brain and helps protect the brain from stroke and neurodegeneration conditions like Alzheimer’s. It also helps with normal aging on the brain by enhancing memory and concentration. Rosemary has anti-inflammatory compounds that help to reduce asthma attacks and is rich in dietary fiber, which improves the digestion. It is super high in vitamin A and for optimal vision, you need just a few leaves a day to almost meet the requirement. It blocks estrogen which helps prevent breast cancer and it helps with liver function.
*It may interfere with some medications like Lithium, diuretics, diabetes medication, high blood pressure and blood-thinning medications.
*If you are pregnant or breastfeeding avoid large quantities.