This is my new favorite salad, if there could be one! There is a lot of texture due to the kale, Peruvian cucumbers, fennel and toasted almonds.
This has been a very busy summer of never-ending guests and I love it! One of my dearest friends Tiffani is here from Colorado and I am super excited! We are going have a girls day at the beach today and this salad will be perfect along with a bottle of Rueda.
I will enjoy this salad with a Rueda but it also pairs well with a Sauvignon Blanc, a white Rioja, a Pinot Gris or a Riesling.
Recipe: 2 – 4 Servings
- 1 Cup Roasted Leek Manchego Pesto
- 1 Cup Toasted Almonds (I make more to have around)
- 1 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt or to taste
- Dash Black Pepper
- 1 Head Kale (I used Luciano) – chop into thin strips
- 1 Leek – washed, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 Fennel Bulb – cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Peruvian Cucumbers (about 2) – thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Red Cabbage – minced
Make pesto, (you can make a half batch or make the whole batch and have it on some toasted french bread along side of the salad!)
Toast almonds – spread out on a cookie sheet bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelf on 350 degrees.
In a bowl mix together pesto, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper and set aside.
Wash kale and tear off main rib by holding the end of the stem and sliding off the leaves then chop into thin strips.
Put kale in a large bowl with olive oil and massage oil into kale.
Add cabbage, cucumbers and dressing to kale, mix well.
*Top with almonds just before eating otherwise they will get soft. (leave whole or ruffly chopped)