This such a great comfort food soup!!!
This is one of my all time favorite soups and one of my staples I make quite often. It goes great with a dry white wine or a light red like a Pinot Noir.
Recipe – 8 – 12 servings
- 3 Cups Red Lentils
- 12 Cups Filtered Water
- 1 Recipe Marinara Sauce
- 4 Small Potatoes
- 3 Large Carrots
- 1 Cup Frozen or Fresh Corn
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Vegetable Bullion Cubes
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt or to Taste
- Cayenne Pepper to taste (Optional)
* This soup is really good without the vegetables as well. For extra tomato flavor double the marinara.
Make the Marinara Sauce and simmer
In a soup pot add red lentils, rinse thoroughly and strain
Add water to the pot, whole cloves of garlic and the bullion cubes then bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium for 30 minutes and scoop off the starchy foam
Dice the potatoes and put into a pan with enough water to cover and boil until soft then strain and set aside until the lentils are done
While potatoes are cooking, In a sauté pan add 2 tablespoon of olive oil, carrots & a pinch of salt, then sauté until soft and add to lentils.
Add tomato sauce after lentils are cooked and the potatoes, corn, olive oil and spices
Simmer for 20 more minutes