This salad is full of lemony flavor and crunch!
Today is all about Christmas cookies, which I have pushed off to the bitter end. Robby and I are going to L.A. tomorrow for our friends annual Christmas party.
I know I won’t be eating the best in the next few days,
so I thought I’d make this salad to balance it out. If you can’t tell by now, I love kale salads!
The best part about kale is that the leaves are thicker than regular lettuce, therefore it can stand a heavier dressing and
it is even great the next day.
This salad is great with a Verdejo, White Rioja, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir.
Recipe: 4 – 6 Servings
- 1/2 Cups Lemon Basil
- 1/4 Cup Pecorino Ramano – finely shredded
- 1/4 Teaspoon Lemon Juice – fresh squeezed
- 1/4 Cup Raw Walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Champagne Vinegar
- 1 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Head lacinato Kale – thinly sliced (about 7 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb – cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Purple Cabbage – minced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil – roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Pecorino Romano (optional)
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes – cut into 8 – 12 wedges
Pick the leaves off the basil stems, finely shred the cheese, measure and put into a food processor.
Squeeze lemon juice, measure along with remaining ingredient, add to food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside
Wash kale and tear off the main rib by holding the end of the stem and sliding off the leaves, wash, dry, then chop into thin strips
Put kale in a large bowl with olive oil and massage the oil into the kale.
Cut stalks off the fennel bulb, cut the bulb in half, then cut out the core of one half. Slice the half in half and then slice as thin as you can.
Shred cheese and measure along with almonds then add everything to the bowl and mix together.